Tuesday, September 6, 2011

La Placita Antigua

Hello Everyone,

On Saturday September 3rd, Marta, Jose Miguel, and I went to "La Placita Antigua" which is the old part/historic district of Zaragoza. Ana was not with us because she went to her grandmother's house for the weekend. Marta, Jose, and I met Marta's best friend, who also happens to be named Marta and her husband there. We walked all over and saw the sights of Zaragoza. We even watched part of a tango festival in the middle of the city. We saw Catedral de La Seo, Gobierno Civil (Government Building/City Hall), the ruins of Roman theatre, the oldest street in Zaragoza, the oldest and apparently the best bakery, El Teatro Principal, and Basilica de El Pilar, just to name a few. The entire plaza and all of the buildings were so beautiful! The Basilica de El Pilar was AMAZING! It is indescribable. I guess it's like the Spanish version of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC but this was so much more beautiful! It was painted by Goya. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take photographs inside. Inside there are two holes in the ceiling and two bombs on display inside the basilica. The holes were from the two bombs that were dropped on the basilica during the Spanish Civil War. But, the bombs did not explode, this was believed to be a miracle of the Virgin Mary. Those were the two bombs that are now on display. I found this really interesting. We then walked around the plaza a bit more then went to Marta's (my host mom's friend) house. Marta had just had her kitchen and bathroom redone so we looked at them and then sat in the living room and talked while having some snacks. We got home around midnight or so. We then had dinner, watched a little t.v., and went to bed. It was a very enjoyable and informative night. I learned a lot about Zaragoza.

Tango Festival

El Teatro Principal 
The Roman Theatre Ruins 
The Bakery 
Inside the Bakery 
The oldest street in Zaragoza 
Catedral de La Seo 
Me at Catedral de La Seo 
My host parents and I 
Catedral de La Seo 
Front of Catedral de La Seo 
The Plaza 
City Hall 
Basilica de El Pilar  
Fountain on the Plaza 
Basilica de El Pilar at night 
Basilica de El Pilar and the plaza at night

Until next time, Brian

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Brian -- glad you are having a great time!

    Funny enough - we were at my neighbors' house the other day, and they are hosting a high school student from Spain for the next few weeks. I don't recall that he told me what town/city he is from, but he is very nice, and having read your blog about some of the differences between here/there - we got to have a little chat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey! Thank you, I'm having a blast so far! The next few days are going to be exciting here. Tomorrow is my birthday and I start school on Thursday. That's exciting that yor neighbors have a Spanish exchange student! I'm so glad that you are following my blog and that one of my posts helped spark a conversation! I hope all is well there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Brian: Looks like you're having a great time. We too are hosting a student from Spain. He says he's not familiar with your town, but that it's about 3 1/2 hours away from Madrid. Hope you have a great birthday! Feliz Cumpleanos y que la pases super bien!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy! Thank you! I'm having a great time so far and I'm sure I will have a great birthday! I hope all is well there and that it goes well with your exchange student! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Brian! I am a teacher at North Salem High School. Your friend Cailyn told me about your blog and suggested that I look at it. It looks like you are having a great time! (I remember when I spent a year in Barcelona...) I hope to share your blog with my students so they can get 'drawn in' to Spanish life. Que te lo pases muy bien!

    Sra. DeMorris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Sra. DeMorris! I'm so glad that Cailyn told you about my blog! I've only been here for about 2 1/2 weeks so far but I'm having a amazing time! I haven't been to Barcelona yet but I hope to make it there sometime this year. Yes, feel free to show to your classes and make sure to check back for updates! I usually update my blog about every 3 days or so. Thanks for checking it out! :)

    ReplyDelete