Friday, February 17, 2012

Christmas Time in Zaragoza

Hello Everyone,

Being here in Spain away from my family during Christmas time was tough for me but it was also exciting to experience the holiday in a different way. During the month of December, there were a ton of decorations throughout the city including an enormous Nativity Scene in the 'Plaza de Pilar' in front of the Cathedral and window displays at 'El Corte Ingles' which is like Macy's.

I also went with my Spanish language class to the Museum of Zaragoza, the Goya Museum, and the Roman City Museum. The Zaragoza Museum was just that, a museum about Zaragoza. It tells the history of Zaragoza and there are a lot of photographs so you can see how the city was and how it has grown. The Goya Museum displayed and described the artwork of the Spanish artist Goya. The Roman City museum was my favorite. Underneath the current city of Zaragoza, there is a Roman City that has been excavated. When you enter the museum, you go underground to tour the ruins. It's really neat because there is another entire city beneath the modern day city!

For 'Noche Buena' or Christmas Eve, we went to Marta's mother's house in Corella, Navarra. When we arrived, we walked around the pueblo with Marta's nephew Alberto to see the holiday decorations and such. After about an hour or so, we went back to Marta's mother's house and had a huge dinner with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins from Marta's side of the family. After dinner, Marta, Jose, Ana, and I returned home to Zaragoza and opened our gifts. I received a Zaragoza mug with drawings of typical items from Spain as well as the Steve Jobs biography which I really wanted. Marta ordered it from England so that it would be in English. I thought it was very nice of them and am very grateful.

On Christmas Day or 'Navidad' we stayed at home in Zaragoza. Jose's mother, sister, brother-in-law, nieces, and brother came over for the day to celebrate and eat with us. Although I was missing my family, it was a very enjoyable day. I wore a Christmas tie that my mom sent me from home. I was lucky enough to be able to skype with my family. It was great to talk to my family while my parents and sisters were all together.

Overall, the Christmas season in Zaragoza was an enjoyable and different experience. I hope you enjoy the pictures I included below!

Until next time, Brian
























No comments:

Post a Comment