Sunday, February 12, 2012

Visiting Enric!

Hello Everyone,

I went to visit my friend Enric in Barcelona during a the long weekend of December 2nd - 5th. Enric is from Spain and lives in Barcelona but was an exchange student at Carmel High School two years ago. We became pretty close when he was an exhange student in New York and we´ve stayed in contact. After school on Friday, December 2nd, I took a bus from Zaragoza to Barcelona. It was about a four hour ride and was very enjoyable because I slept about half of the time. When I arrived in Barcelona at about 7:30, Enric was alreadt waiting for me when I stepped of the bus. We greeted each other and started to catch up as we made our way outside to the car where his mom was waiting. His mom, Angeles was so welcoming and one of the nicest women I´ve ever met. She also looks like my godmother Laurie. We all got into the car and talked all the way to their house. They live in a suburb a little outside of Barcelona but very, very close. Once we arrived, I met Enric´s dad, Francesc and younger sister, Clara. He also has an older brother, Ramon but I didn´t meet him because he doesn´t live in Barcelona. Although this was the first time meeting Enric´s family, I felt like I´d known them for years! They were very warm and kind. I felt like I was at home and a part of the family.

That night, Enric and I went out to dinner with his girlfriend, Ana at an Italian restaurant. It was great to meet her, they have been dating for about 2 years now. She is very sweet. Afterwards, we dropped Ana back at her house where I met her family.

On Saturday, December 3rd, Enric, his parents, sister, and I went into the city of Barcelona by train after having a typical Catalunyan breakfast. It consisted of toasted baguettes with tomato, oil, and salt. We also had fresh orange juice, coffee, and jamon serrano which is typical of Spain. We went to a street called 'Las Ramblas' to walk around. It was in the center of the city. We went to an outdoor market that is there year-round. There was everything from fish and seafood to fruits and vegetables to candy. I also drank from a famous fountain. It's said that it you drink from the fountain, you are destined to return to Barcelona. When then went to 'La Plaza de Colon' at the end of 'Las Ramblas'. It is a plaza with an enormous statue of Christopher Columbus who is pointing to America. The plaza is across the street from the port of Barcelona. We continued to the port, walked along the sea, and ate lunch at a seafood restaurant overlooking the water and boats. We had all different types of food. We had calamari, 'patatas bravas', a few different types of fish, and I even ate octopus!

After lunch, we continued walking along the water and went to the Barcelona Aquarium which was absolutely incredible! My favorite part was a glass tunnel where you are surrounded by all the sea life. After the aquarium, we walked around a bit more to see the city then took the train back to Enric's house. We relaxed for a bit and later went out to eat pizza with a large group of Enric's friends including Ana. There were about 10 or 12 of us. After pizza, we all went back to Enric's house to get ready to go out! We changed our clothes and freshened up to go out dancing at a 'discoteca' or night club. One of Enric's good friends had free passes for all of us for the nightclub. It was amazing, like something you would see in a movie! The nighclub opened up right onto the beach of the Mediterranean Sea! We danced the night away and went back home at about 4 a.m.

On Sunday, December 4th, we went sailing on the Mediterranean Sea! Enric's family has 2 sailboats at a Marina about 45 minutes outside of Barcelona. One is 36 feet and the other is 48 feet. Francesc, Enric, Ana, Clara, and I took the bigger one for the day. Angeles It was absolutely amazing! Enric and I took turns acting as captain. After a few hours on the boat, we brought it back into the marina and had lunch at the marina's restaurant. That night, we drove up to the top of a mountain overlooking Barcelona. It was so beautiful to see the city at night. We also went to visit the cathedral that is on the peak of the mountain overlooking the city and ocean.

On Monday, December 5th, we all went and visited the Sagrada Familia! I was ecstatic to visit it because in my architecture and design class in the US, I studied Goudi. He work is incredible! After the Sagrada Familia, we went to the house of Goudi which was just as beautiful and architecturally interesting. We then ate lunch at a restaurant, walked around a bit more, then rested a bit in their apartment in the center of Barcelona. Enric's parents own an apartment building in the center of the historic district. The apartments are rented out but they have one for them to use in the building as well. After chilling out for a bit, we visited another cathedral and went to a Christmas fair where I even got a picture with Santa!

On Tuesday, December 6th, after another typical breakfast of toasted baguettes, tomato, oil, and salt, we took a scenic drive on winding road from Enric's house up and over the mountain into the city of Barcelona. After parking the car, we walked to 'Parque Guell' which is the park of Goudi. It was a very steep up-hill walk. I felt as if we were in San Francisco! We toured the park which has some of the most beautiful buildings, sculptures, and art that I've seen in my life! After visiting the gift shop, we headed back to their house, ate lunch, and then dessert with Ana and her family who came over to say goodbye to me.

After dessert, it was time for me to say my goodbyes. I said goodbye to Ana and her family who were all very warm, kind people. Then I said goodbye to Enric's sister Clara and his mom, Angeles. It was tough to say goodbye. I really felt like I was with my own family or at least a part of theirs. Angeles gave me a big, long hug and kiss and was even crying when I had to go. Francesc, Enric, and I loaded the car and we headed off to the bus station. Once we arrived, they helped me with my suitcase then I hugged and thanked both of them for one of my most incredible and memorable experiences in Spain. I was very sad to say goodbye. I became very close with the entire family very quickly and they will always hold a special place in my heart. I can't wait to see them again! I hope to visit them at least one more time before I return to the US in June.

I hope you enjoy the pictures below!

Until next time, Brian
































































































*I'm not sure why but when I uploaded the pictures they uploaded a bit out of order.












No comments:

Post a Comment