Friday, November 4, 2011

Volunteering

Hello Everyone,
I recently joined two volunteer groups here in order to meet people as well as to stay busy and help. On Tuesday, October 25th, I went with a group after school to help at an elementary school. The school is in a poorer part of the city with a lot of immigrants and those who are less fortunate. We tutor and help with homework after school. The children that are tutored range from 9 to 12 years old. It was a great group of people and I had a lot of fun. After we finished tutoring, the boys in the volunteer group, who are also in my class, started a soccer game outside with the students. It was a lot of fun to watch and I even played too! I played terribly but I had a lot of fun! Most of the people here that I’ve met so far are great at playing soccer and me, well…not so much. Ha, ha, ha! The group meets every week and I can’t wait to go back!
On Friday, October 28th, I went with the second volunteer group to a nursing home. Every week at the nursing home, the group runs games of bingo. The people in the nursing home were so nice and grateful that we came to run bingo for them. It was a very fun group of seniors that were playing and I had a better time than I thought I would. I even read off the numbers! It was fun and it helped me practice saying numbers in Spanish. I’m excited to go back to the nursing home too!
Until next time, Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment